Motorcycle travel checklist for touring.
Essentials : Documents & Money
- Valid passport + any necessary visas.
- Driving Licence.
- International Driving Permit for non EU license holders riding in the EU
- International Driving permit for non EU license holders riding in the UK where your license is not written in English.
- VE103 certificate (supplied on request and essential if you are taking a hired vehicle out of the United Kingdom)
- Copy hire documents (supplied).
- Breakdown Assistance / Repatriation Cover (supplied).
- Personal travel insurance & medical insurance (include cover for motorcycling and pillion passengers as applicable).
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is available to UK and other EU citizens. Apply online at https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card , or call for more information: 0191 218 1999) – check expiry date if you already have one.
- Currency: Sterling, Euros, Swiss Francs.
- A major credit card, ideally two. Some people recommend reserving one card for automated tollbooths, in case of damage. American Express is not as widely accepted in the EU as MasterCard and Visa.
- We recommend that you make good quality photocopies of all of your personal documents except your credit cards.
Essentials: For the Motorcycle
- Motor Oil.
- Chain lubricant. (supplied).
- Disc lock (supplied).
- High viz. vest/jacket. (supplied). In some E.U. countries it is a requirement to wear one if you have to stop by the roadside.
- Breathalysers to comply with French law. Perhaps not strictly necessary, but if you have them then there will be no argument.
Essentials: Medical & Comfort
- Note with your passport of any allergies or ailments (incl. Latin name – for international recognition) and current medication with dosage information.
- Basic pain killers, personal medication and prescription drugs.
- Mini first aid kit.
- Rehydration sachets.
- Sunblock, sunscreen, lip balm.
- Water bottle.
Recommended: For the Motorcycle
- Bicycle loop lock (for optional helmet security).
- Tyre pressure gauge.
- Cloths – absorbent for drying saddles and cleaning the machine (store in zip lock bag) + a rag for oil or fluid spillage (store in a separate zip lock bag).
- Mobile Phone with network access.
- Base layers.
- Camera + empty memory card, and batteries or charger.
- A couple of small karabiners and bungee cords.
- Dictionary or language guide.
- Duck/Gaffer tape+Insulating tape.
- Electric plug converter kit UK/EU adapter.
- Leatherman-type multi-tool or Swiss Army knife.
- Latex gloves.
- Mobile phone charger.
- Notebook and pen.
- Route Maps (old-school satnav. back-ups).
- Rucksack/backpack/fanny pack Snood / neck warmer.
- Spare gloves.
- Spare spectacles.
- Super-absorbent travel towel.
- Torch, handheld LED Maglite, campers’ head torch.
- Visor & windshield bug cleaner and cloth.
- Waterproofs (available for rental or purchase).
- Zip ties.
- Zip lock clear plastic bags.