Motorcycle travel checklist for touring.
Essentials : Documents & Money
- Valid passport + any necessary visas.
- Driving Licence.
- VE103 certificate (supplied on request and essential if you are taking a hired vehicle out of the Unitied Kingdom)
- Copy hire documents (supplied).
- Breakdown Assistance / Repatriation Cover (supplied).
- Personal travel insurance & medical insurance (include cover for motorcycling).
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is available to UK and other EU citizens. Apply online at http://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card , or call for more information: 0191 218 1999) – check expiry date if you already have one.
- Currency: Sterling, Euros, Swiss Francs.
- A major credit card, ideally two. Some people recommend reserving one card for automated tollbooths, in case of damage. American Express is not as widely accepted in the EU as MasterCard and Visa.
- We recommend that you make good quality photocopies of all of your personal documents except your credit cards.
Essentials: For the Motorcycle
- Motor Oil.
- Chain lubricant. (supplied).
- Disc lock (supplied).
- High viz. vest/jacket. (supplied). In some E.U. countries it is a requirement to wear one if you have to pull over.
- Breathalysers to comply with French law. Perhaps not strictly necessary, but if you have them then there will be no argument.
Essentials: Medical & Comfort
- Note with your passport of any allergies or ailments (incl. Latin name – for international recognition) and current medication with dosage information.
- Basic pain killers, personal medication and prescription drugs.
- Mini first aid kit.
- Rehydration sachets.
- Sunblock, sunscreen, lip balm.
- Water bottle.
Recommended: For the Motorcycle
- Bicycle loop lock (for optional helmet security).
- Spare bulbs & fuses.
- Tyre pressure gauge.
- Cloths – absorbent for drying saddles and cleaning the machine (store in zip lock bag) + a rag for oil or fluid spillage (store in a separate zip lock bag).
- Base layers.
- Camera + empty memory card, and batteries or charger.
- A couple of small karabiners and bungee cords.
- Dictionary or language guide.
- Duck/Gaffer tape+Insulating tape.
- Electric plug converter kit UK/EU adapter.
- Leatherman-type multi-tool or Swiss Army knife.
- Latex gloves.
- Mobile phone charger.
- Notebook and pen.
- Route Maps (old-school satnav. back-ups).
- Rucksack/backpack/fanny pack Snood / neck warmer.
- Spare gloves.
- Spare spectacles.
- Super-absorbent travel towel.
- Torch, handheld LED Maglite, campers’ head torch.
- Visor & windshield bug cleaner and cloth.
- Waterproofs (available for rental or purchase).
- Zip ties.
- Zip lock clear plastic bags.
Travel checklist for motorcycle touring from RoadTrip. Woking, Surrey, UK +44 (0)1483 662 135
+44 (0)1483 662 135 Ride@RoadTrip.uk